What quality is a "builders finish"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are almost at the end of a loft conversion and we had agreed to decorate the loft ourselves rather than have the builder do it. So the quote for the job on the conversion was to a builders finish. The builder has almost finished now and we are in the process of getting ready to decorate and have noticed that some of the plaster finish needs smoothing and filling to make it suitable for painting straight over also there is lots of gap filling required round skirting board etc. Am I just being hopeful that the room should have been ready to paint straight over or does to a builders finish imply that there is a fair bit of preparation work required before decorating can start. Any comments would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
the painter is often referred to as the undertaker....cos he buries everybody elses mistakes. In my experiance the painter is the last in the line of the process so everybody assumes that he will make good. Its therefore not unusal for tops of skirtings to need caulking, bumps knocks and scratches, filling etc etc.
Having said that there work shouldnt be shoody and if you are not happy point it out

Thermo said:
the painter is often referred to as the undertaker....cos he buries everybody elses mistakes. In my experiance the painter is the last in the line of the process so everybody assumes that he will make good. Its therefore not unusal for tops of skirtings to need caulking, bumps knocks and scratches, filling etc etc.
Having said that there work shouldnt be shoody and if you are not happy point it out

would agree with that, apart from minor knocks or scratches the plasterwork should be ready to paint, when we leave a loft undecorated at a plaster finish, we don't caulk or fill skirtings, architraves etcwe do puinch nails ready for filling but the plasterwork wouldn't need filling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back