Questions on finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been using a builder who has been really good up until now and generally giving us a good finish on the walls he knocked out, plastered and painted. All in all we have given him about 3 weeks of work and as I say have been happy.

However now that it is nearing the end of the job and he needs to get the last few things finished I feel he is rushing and not doing as good a job. He has now had to dash off for a family funeral and will only be back for maybe 2 days this week. I have no issues with that and he has been very apologetic. Luckily last week he got in an extra painter to help paint the woodwork however we fell they have rushed it and given us a poor finish. We have not seen him to discuss but will see him this Friday so would like to have my ducks in a row before confronting him.

Our main gripe is with the finish of the architraves and also the fact he did not sand down the old door frames before painting which he said he would. As such we now have fresh paint over and old bad, bubbly paint job.

The issue is he has been on a daily rate, so if we are not happy with his work and he comes back to re-do or fix it up, are we then meant to pay him or should it be for free? And as he has no more time for us I think we should get a discount as we need to get someone else in now to sand down frames and re-paint...

1. This picture shows where he has simply re-painted over old paint which gives a poor finish

2.This shows where the painter has just been lazy, I know he will touch this up on Friday but it is not going to look great when painting over eggshell with matt will it?

3. This is where 2 architraves meet and again the finish is not consistent, the paint seals in parts and there is a gap in parts

Sponsored Links
If you are paying him on a daily rate he can hardly be called lazy for not sanding something down - he would simply charge you more as it takes him longer. He'll sand it down to bare wood if you pay him for long enough.

What is his day rate? Is he a British tradesman?

Yes, but as he has 2 week contract job starting next week he is rushing to get everything done. I have told him I would rather him do things properly and not finish and I can get someone else in to finish the odds n' ends off, but it appears he hasn't listened. We definitely discussed sanding the frames down so am definitely confronting him on that one!

Daily rate for him was £180 and his "painter" was £120, he is polish and the painter was british.

As I said, we were really happy with him, its just these last few jobs he seems to be taking a lot less care with which is frustrating as they are all the final finishes.

That's the problem with Poles - too darned expensive. :p

Sponsored Links
The polish guy will suddenly say 'speak no English' when he's confronted.

I can't see the pic's properly as im on a phone, but if your not happy with the work it needs sorting in there time not yours!

So no payment while there re-doing the bits your not quite happy with, its the same if they did it on a price it would have to be sorted in there time not yours.

Ps always be careful when dealing with polish etc as alot of them arnt up to date with British reg's and haven't got the relevant qualifications, so if anything badly goes wrong and you take action you haven't got a leg to stand on as its your responsibility to check.
So if he is doing More than painting just be aware.

Taking walls down? Building regs? Building control visits? Structural engineer calcs? Building insurance void? A house you cannot sell?

Be careful what you are doing.

In Poland he earns 50 quid a week. Here he's earning a grand. He'll do anything you ask him to - you are the boss. The buck stops with you.

thanks for the replies and dont worry, yes he is polish but he is not "that polish" and is not a cowboy. most of the work he has done is decorative.

we had a structural engineer in before he started to check the walls and the structural engineer also visited the day they were taken down when he was here. we have also used our own electrician and gas man along the way so we are not doing anything stupid!

just concerned about the finish on a few cosmetic jobs, thats all

Perhaps you should challenge the painter here for his work so far is very inferior.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back