How to fit a room stat to a system that’s never had one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to know How to fit a room stat to a system that’s never had one

my daughter has a very old house, she has a vented system, but no room stat, has to keep opening shutting radiators

some advice please, also without wiring if possible
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends on the type of system controls in use, whether it has 2 x 2 port valves or a 3 port valve with motors, or a manually operated 3 port valve (may say Rega or simplicity on it) these will usually be next to the hot water cylinder. It may not have any valves and be an older gravity system. Best bet would be take pictures and post in the plumbing and heating forum, or get a registered heating engineer in to look at it. Whichever way you go it will need some wiring.

What sort of system does she have . combi, fully pumped , gravity hot water pumped CH ?

Sponsored Links
Yep, need to know the system before any recommendations.

It's not something I'd suggest you'd do yourself.

It involves an electrical supply, unless you're happy wiring up electrical connections I'd get someone in probably your best bet is a gas safe engineer a lot of sparkies don't know how to wire up controls.

My daughter not too familiar with technology, I know it’s a vented system, if I get the boiler model, would that help ? If not will get some photos of the pipe work

thanks

You need a heating engineer.
A boiler running without controls is probably illegal these days.

If it's a rental, this is something the landlord/agent need to rectify.

If not, because you are not simply swapping stats or programmers, you will need to dive deep into the whole heating system and it's layout to work out what it needs.

In the short term, you could fit a TRV valve to the rad. This wouldn't get the rad hot (it can't call for heat) but it will provide a control to the max temps the room can usually see.

Best of luck.

In the short term, you could fit a TRV valve to the rad. This wouldn't get the rad hot (it can't call for heat) but it will provide a control to the max temps the room can usually see.

That needs some care as well. Most boilers have an over run time to get shut of excess heat. Some modern boilers can have TRV's on all radiators. Some can't.

Fully sorted out it can be a very good efficient way of heating a house and doesn't really need a thermostat as such but understand one has to be fitted.

Sponsored Links
Back