room stat..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,i had a alpha CB24 combi boiler fitted a couple of years ago and the plumber that fitted it disconnected my room stat saying it was no longer needed.i have never questioned this as boiler has 2 stats on front panel,1 for water,1 for heating and appears to work ok but afreind has recently had the same boiler installed and his room stat stills works his boiler??
does this mean that one may be fitted incorrectly???

Sponsored Links
At the time of installation (and now) the Building Regulations required that a new boiler be connected to a room stat to ensure maximum efficiency. So the installer was in breach of Regulations.

Was the installer Corgi registered? Did he fill in and give you a Benchmark Certificate (blue A5 sized form)? Did he clean and flush the central heating system?

The room stat should be carefully located so that it senses a temperature that is representative of the general flat/house temperature. The radiator in the same space should not have a TRV since this would compete with the room stat.

The only thing installer gave me was boiler instructions,never heard of or seen a benchmark certificate,but yes he was corgi registerd,but having said that he gave me a three warranty but i couldnt get him to come back and do yearly service so i took out alphas own cover.does this mean my boiler could be working incorrectly or fitter just cut corners to save time??

does this mean my boiler could be working incorrectly or fitter just cut corners to save time??
Probably the latter, and possibly the former (not because of lack of room stat but due to other cut corners like not flushing system). I would consider reporting him to Corgi if I was you, especially if he has promised a 3 year warranty (you have that in writing?) and then refused to come back.

Sponsored Links
thanx for reply,will contact corgi tommorrow.just out of interest,would not having a separate room stat put more pressure on boiler making gas bills higher???

Quite the contrary. The room stat stops the boiler running when the house is warm enough.

so would you advise that i have my room stat reconnected or leave it running as it is..

Current building regs state that the system should have a working room stat, the regs also state that the radiator in the same space as the stat should not have a thermostat valve fitted.
I have read and followed the debate over room stats and trvs for years.
At British Gas and before trvs we were told to fit stats in the hall, the coolest part of the house, theory being if the hall was warm then the rest of the house was going to be comfortable. Then we were told to fit the stats in the lounge or the main living area theory being that the stat would turn off quicker and thus save energy.
Basically the government wants us all to save energy so anything that stops your boiler running too much they conclude will save energy and save you money. A stat is simply a switch, just like your light switch, it turns the boiler on or off, only it does this according to the temperature directly around it. If you turned the stat down completely the boiler would hardly fire up you would be freezing cold but you would be saving money, if you turn the stat up full you would be red hot but skint. Personally I think there is too much debate over stats and controls, just reading the posts in this forum I see people worried that their boiler has been fitted incorrectly or there is a major fault because there is no stat, but all the stat will do is switch the boiler on or off according to the temp near it. A stat is not a magic energy saving cure all invented by the government it is simply a switch that regulates the temperature of a given space around it. I can give a recent example where a customer complained of rising gas bills and radiators too hot.... turns out she had the radiator in the hall removed when decorating and it was never put back because the house was "still lovely and warm without it" however the stat would hardly ever switch off because there was no heat source nearby to allow it to get to the set temp.

thanx for that,,as i said earlier i had never questioned not having a room stat as boiler has one built in and up untill now is working ok,but when my mate said his was still working i started to get paranoid....i suppose its a case of "if it works dont try to fix it"..thanx again for replys...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back