Room Thermastat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new boiler fitted a few years ago and the fitter advised me that i no longer needed a room stat as i could control the temp with the stat on the front panel of new boiler. I've since found out that he was talking out his @r$e and just cutting corners.
What i want to know is were the wiring from my exsisting room stat would of run to ??
I used to have stored hot water system.Boiler in kitchen,immersion heater in airing cupboard and storage cistern in loft.All that was removed and new combi was fitted in airing cupboard.
Room stat is situated in living room directly below airing cupboard.I have lifted floor boards and found wiring but cant trace were it goes to.
Would it of run straight to old boiler,therefore no longer being live ??
And,can i cut wire and connect direct from stat to new boiler ??
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Fit a wireless stat. The only mains connection will be at the boiler and or wiring centre. ;)

depending on your old system the room stat would have been wired to a wiring centre (system boiler) or direct to the boiler (combi) first look in room stat and determine how many wires are in there 3 or 4 , then have a look round the airing cupboard for a cable that is not fitted to anything this will hopefully be the other end of the cable
with a multimeter check for continuity when stat switched for heating and break when no heat required (if you have a mains voltage stat this won't work - if it clicks it is ok, if it doesn't it requires mains voltage to switch)

before you wire to boiler make sure that you have the correct stat as some are 12 volts & some are 240 volts DON'T GET IT WRONG as it will cost you a pcb

The wiring i found under floor boards is running in the direction of kitchen were old boiler used to be.My old boiler had a timer system on front panel.
Problem is,theres a cupboard on wall were boiler used to be so wiring maybe plasterd over.The stat has 3 wires inside,red,yellow and blue and it still clicks occasionally.Inside stat cover it says 230v.

Sponsored Links
what about your boiler what voltage are the stat connections?

how about fitting a RF room stat? that way you wire the boiler to the receiver and the transmitter (room stat patrt) can be anywhere you like without the need for wires!

Will check boiler tommorrow,kids in bed now.
Going to do a search on wireless stats,are they reliable??

Yes, I fit them all the time, usually the Siemens REV23 RF. Does everything aprt from make the tea :eek: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back