do i need to have a room stat
i have a combi system with all rads having thermostatic valves
is it a requirement to have a room stat fitted as well
the boiler also has a machanical timer

Sponsored Links
from what i read on these forums

yes you must have a romm stat

ONE rad should have NO trv

otherwise if they all shut down, what is to sop the pump form going?

by having one without a trv the pump can still pump round

but from what i understand the boiler has a bypass
and if i have a room stat and that switches the system off
then having stat valves is pointless
is it not the new regulation that all rads must be fitted with stats

Part L states that rads must be fitted with TRVs and a room stat fitted.

Leaving one rad without a TRV is no longer allowed and the boiler should have an automatic bypass. :D

Sponsored Links
Sorry but that's not right :rolleyes: . The requirement is that there should be a room stat and the room with the stat should not have a TRV on the rad. Otherwise the TRV and the room stat would be competing with each other. TRVs may be used elsewhere, especially on bedroom radiators, but there are other ways of satisfying the regulations.

As you can see, it's all very confusing. Even the professionals get it wrong. You can download the building regs. here.

so i DO need a room stat
the only place i can put one easily is in the hall
between two doors is this a suitable position ?
as all my rads have trvs do i need to remove the one in the hall ?
or can i put the stat on the kitchen wall (no rad in the kitchen)

The kitchen is not a good place for a room stat. Cooking will cause stat to switch off heating even when rest of house is cold. Halls are quite commonly the location for room stats, between doors should be OK, but try to avoid location affected by drafts or heat sources. Just take head off TRV, or just leave it locked on highest setting. As long as it doesn't shut down before room stat can operate the TRV won't do any harm (or good).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back