Room Stat

Hi,
I have a floor standing ideal mexico 2 boiler, TRV's on all rads but i'm considering putting a room stat in the living room.

Is it straightforward to do, generally? System has a basic 24hr electronic timer at the moment.

I'm not sure where the stat would wire into?

Thanks
Mike

Hello

You should not have Trvs fitted on all your radiators.

If you want to fit a room thermostat the best place is in your hallway and the radiator fitted there should not have a Trv fitted to it.

If you fit a themostat in the Living room you will be wasting your money.

Thanks

Ongas

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention, if you get a progammable roomstat, you can make your system independently switching in stead of just separate; it will give performance as well as comfort a big boost.

Hi,
I have a floor standing ideal mexico 2 boiler, TRV's on all rads but i'm considering putting a room stat in the living room.

Is it straightforward to do, generally? System has a basic 24hr electronic timer at the moment.

I'm not sure where the stat would wire into?

Thanks
Mike

Hello

You should not have Trvs fitted on all your radiators.

If you want to fit a room thermostat the best place is in your hallway and the radiator fitted there should not have a Trv fitted to it.

If you fit a themostat in the Living room you will be wasting your money.

Thanks

Ongas

Trv are fitted to all rads except bypass rad if thats what you mean?

Stat location best place will be lounge in my case due to various reasons incl size of room, heating, and also the size of the hall.

Why do you state that a living room stat is a waste of money?

Trv are fitted to all rads except bypass rad if thats what you mean?
As you can see in the explanation in the link, TRV's must NOT be fitted in the room with the roomstat, other rooms are usefull, or at worst, not detrimental to the working of the system.

Stat location best place will be lounge in my case due to various reasons incl size of room, heating, and also the size of the hall.
Bar those occasions where the lounge has a frequently used indpendent heat source e.g. log burner, it is virtually always the best place in the house for the roomstat when modern heating controls are used.

Why do you state that a living room stat is a waste of money?
Becaue he does not have the relevant training/certification, but thinks nothing much has changed since the sixties.

Sponsored Links
Ok cool, thanks chaps. Thats my understanding too. Lounge heat source is v large rad which currently has trv, which i understand needs to be removed when stat goes in. Cheers.

You can just take the trv head off; this will leave the valve permanently open.

Ben, I'm not having a pop at you. Unless I am mistaken, your website doesn't show your address. I can understand a reluctance to publicly disply this, and I am fortunate in having a true retail premise, but I probably wouldn't respond to a "faceless" website. I couldn't see your Gas Safe registration, or even a statement to suggest that you are, although I am obviously aware that you are legit.

Or am I getting something fundementaly wrong?

...Or am I getting something fundementaly wrong?
You are completely right. This stuff used to be in the footer, which also got lost in the host/server move. (I knew it but forgot all about it :oops:
Another job added to my to-do-list, together with adding an email-button and a book-a-service-with-discount-button. :rolleyes:
I have to admit that anything to do with ranking/traffic comes first, second and third at the expense of other details, but it is paying off. I am now at about 2500 hits per month and have been working on tarting my site up for the past week to improve the hit:call ratio.

Building/designing your own website has great advantages, and it is a real kick when you see a certain phrase shoot up in the serps, but it is a $hitload of work when you start from scratch. [I-am-knackered-emoticon]

Ben, are you getting actual jobs from all those hits?
Sure thing.
Quality is pretty good too. More than half are geniune calls from people that want the job done rather than calling every bloke and his dog to find out what the cheapest is. Oddly enough, only a few percent are sales calls and :evil: agents :evil:

An electro-mechanical room thermostat should have a neutral connection, too. It is for the tiny anticipator heater, which enables more accurate control. Most installers and electricians seem to ignore these.

Hopefully most stats being fitted now are electronic ones which dont need/have an anticipator.

Its odd but I had though this was a thread about Ben's web site!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back