What boiler setting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an open vented system, y plan, with a Ideal Mexico 2 RS125 (36kw) system boiler. Most rads have TRVs. I have just installed a CM927 wireless stat and placed the sensor in the living room. There is a 17kbtu rad in the living room (opposite wall to sensor) and I have set the TRV at 5 on this rad.

The boiler has a single dial on it, 1-6. I thought this was the "power/throttle" but actually, its the output temp (is that correct)?

I'm wondering what I should set this dial at, given that I have a room stat now? Currently finding that the boiler fires up for very short periods. Seems to be doing the job though, as in the temp is staying constant (20c) but the rads don't get a chance to get hot! Maybe they don't need to..

Any advice offered would be appreciated! Thanks.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
I have just installed a CM927 wireless stat and placed the sensor in the living room. There is a 17kbtu rad in the living room (opposite wall to sensor) and I have set the TRV at 5 on this rad.
A TRV on the rad controlled by the wall thermostat is not recommended. However setting the TRV to max should be good enough.

Is the rest of the house getting up to temperature?

The boiler has a single dial on it, 1-6. I thought this was the "power/throttle" but actually, its the output temp (is that correct)?
Yes, it controls the temperature of the water leaving the boiler.

I'm wondering what I should set this dial at, given that I have a room stat now? Currently finding that the boiler fires up for very short periods.
Set the boiler stat to 6 and let the room stat control when the boiler needs to come on.

Seems to be doing the job though, as in the temp is staying constant (20c) but the rads don't get a chance to get hot! Maybe they don't need to..
That's correct. It's fairly warm at the moment and the rads do not need to give off much heat, so they will feel cool.

Wait until the temperature drops near zero and the rads will get warmer. But if you have a well insulated house they will never feel very hot.

I have the same stat and rad temperatures rarely get much above 60C.

Sponsored Links
Awesome! Thank you.

One other question, would some sort of a run-on be beneficial so the pump keeps going for a while after the boiler stops?

At the moment, i'm pretty sure the pump stops, so heat is presumably held in the boiler.

Thanks.

One other question, would some sort of a run-on be beneficial so the pump keeps going for a while after the boiler stops?
If the boiler needs a pump run-on (known as overrun), the pump will be connected to the boiler, which will control the overrun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back