How to fit vinyl and insulate over floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to lay vinyl flooring over floorboards but I'd really like some advice being a complete novice at this :)

The floorboards are uneven and set anything between a cm to an inch apart in places. Underneath there are quite large air spaces for the air to circulate so in the winter the floor can get very cold. Lifting the floorboards though is not an option. The gap between skirting and floorboard is a good cm so I need to create a good seal around the edges.

Can I lay hardboard with a dpm underneath and what can I put around the edges of the skirting to close the gaps? What tools do I need for the job, glue etc? How do I go about laying the vinyl and making sure I get a close fit around the edge of the room?

Many thanks. Sorry there's a lot of questions :)

Sponsored Links
Hard board or ply fixed to your floorboards would be fine,you can use angled beading round the edges .A stanley knife.a steel rule and double sided tape to hold it down are the tools you need for fitting.If you can get a large sheet of paper you can use that as a template.Fit it onto your floor ,do all the cutting to make it fit then put it over your vinyl then cut to shape and stick down

use plywood as it stronger and more stable than harboard. Hardboard shouldnt be used under resilent floorings or any glue down flooring. Also you can use feather edge to smooth joints and ring shank heads where you cant with hardboard.

as suggested above, use quarter round beeding around the edges and making a template will help you in difficult areas.

Dont use double sided tape tho as vinyl should be loose laid or fully bonded with acrylic adhesive.

If you need to use a double sided tape for some reason like on a join (all tho it should be cold welded but a bit hard for Diy!) then make sure it is anti-plas vinyl tape as any other tape will react.

O and no vapour barrier is used on timber subfloors!

Thankyou so much for those very helpful replies!

So can I not use any insulation in between the plywood and the floorboards?

Can you recommend an adhesive?

Many thanks, again.

Sponsored Links
if you want to insulate, then attach chicken wire on the bottom of the joists. Then fill from above with normal loft insulation between the joists and onto the chicken wire.

If you installing vinyl you dont need to glue down unless its comercial traffic or the manufactorer says to glu down there product i.e karndean/amtico/polyfloor etc etc etc .

If you need to glue down then i would recommend F-BALL's F44 acrylic or F46 pressure sensitive. If its a really wet area then you need epoxy based and if really hot, then look into there high temp adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back