Laying Vinyl on uneven floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to lay some vinyl flooring in the Kitchen & Bathroom. The floorboards are slightly uneven and have gaps between them. I thought about using Hardboard as has been discussed before. What about 6mm MDF? This is stronger than hardboard and would give a better finish. Is there any problem gluing this down to the floor rather than screwing or pinning? If not, what would you suggest - PVA perhaps :?:

Sponsored Links
If there's any prospect of having to access the floorboards in the future I'd not recommend using glue.

Hardboard should be OK but if you do use MDF then I'd suggest screwing it rather than pinning as the MDF is probably stiff enough to pull the pins loose.

I had vinyl laid in my kitchen. This was put onto chipboard however the guy doing the job also put down a light screed (only 1 or 2 mm) to fill any gaps. I don't know what it was called but it came ready mixed in a tub. This made the surface perfectly smooth. Vinyl is unforgiving when it comes to revealing irregularities in the underlying surface!

MDF and damp don't mix.

People use hardboard because it is suitable for the job!

Also will cause less problems with thresholds, doors etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back