Laying vinyl flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I plan to lay vinyl flooring in my bathroom, but I have 2 questions:

1) The vinyl is 4mm thick. The wall tiling is not done yet. Should I tile the walls and leave a 4mm gap to the floor, so I can slip the vinyl underneath - or - tile all the way down to the floor and then lay the vinyl floor up against the wall tile?

2) What is the ideal sub-surface for vinyl flooring? I have just laid brand new, extra-wide floorboards, and screwed them down - it feels quite solid. Can I simply lay the vinyl on this?

Any advice on this should be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
You should lay plywood 3 or 6mm ring nailed @ 150mm centres.If you've laid new pine boards they will most likely,shrink telegraphing the joints through the vinyl.
mack

Yep mack4's advice is spot on..

It may be worth wall tiling first, that way you don't have to be too crucial with the gap at the bottom as you will have 6mm (from the ply) to play with. Always leave your tiles just short of the floor in case any movement of the floor dislodges the bottom row of tiles.

i.e leave bottom row of tiles 3 to 5mm off floor then lay 6mm ply then your vinyl

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back