How to fix cill/sill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to attempt to fit a couple of uPVC windows but I'm getting conflicting advice as to how to fit the cill.
Which way is best?

I'm thinking of:

- Siliconing the upstand
- Fixing the cill to the frame with screws through the bottom of the cill into the underside of the frame
- Siliconing the left and right edges of the frame where it meets the cill
- Siliconing or foaming the cill into the opening

So there'd be no mechanical fixing through the frame and cill into the brickwork.
Is that OK?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
All looks good to me, the main one is sealing the cill to the window and then filling it ends in to stop water tracking over each end but you have that covered, whats the conflicting advice?

Thanks for your reply.

Some advise fixing down through the frame into the cill, but not into the brickwork.
Others say down through the frame into the cill and the brickwork.
Others say the method I've described above.

Seems like a certain amount comes down to personal preference!

Sponsored Links
Either way is fine but......
If for any reason you ever needed to remove the window (getting a sofa in or just changing the window) it can sometimes be easier to do when you can unscrew the window from the cill and remove them separately. Other than that your plan is all good

Also if you have render on your house you can make the window larger.
You can measure so that the window will go behind the render top and sides. Fit without the cill by shuffling the window in sideways then lift it up and push the cill in under.
Without experience of measuring I would recommend chipping off a little bit of render top and sides first to see how deep the old frame goes behind first though

Thanks for the advice. It's a Victorian era house with solid brick walls and no render, so that made my measuring job easier!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back