Where to silicone on a uPVC cill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm,
Just putting in a new window or three and realised that I don't understand how to put in the cill. I can't get a complete description of how to seal the cill.

I'm going to screw them down through the brick (I've read various views on this versus mortaring them in but I'll go with this method for now).

My problem is - once I've got the cills in - do I then silicone the cill sides to stop water from seeping in through them. (I'm not going to silicone the front !). My assumption is that the window will drain out to the cill and the water can then trail along the edges to the brick, under/around the cill and potentially back into the house or just into the brickwork around the edges of the cill ?

Any views please?

thanks,
John.

Sponsored Links
Don't secure the windows by screwing through the cill - use the sides only for minimal water penetration.
The cill will incorporate a drip groove on its underside, and this should be well clear of the brickwork.
Use a proprietory sealant to sea gaps atl the bottom of the cill, up the sides and window head.
John :)

Don't secure the windows by screwing through the cill - use the sides only for minimal water penetration.
The cill will incorporate a drip groove on its underside, and this should be well clear of the brickwork.
Use a proprietory sealant to sea gaps atl the bottom of the cill, up the sides and window head.
John :)

Hmm, drip groove on the underside of the cill? Mine appears to be flat on top and bottom and how would it be clear of the brickwork if it's resting on mortar; or did you mean that I should cut the cill so the the sides will be clear of the brickwork - me thinks I don't understand :(

And - seal up the cill before putting the window frame on top?

thankyou for your patience !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back