Widest cill available

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a really wide cill for either uPVC or Alu windiws?

I have a round tower that I am planning on putting windows completely around - 8 windows, so octagon shape.

I am struggling with the cill width though - I need at least a 250mm cill to clear the brickwork due to the curved brickwork:

I have spoken to 6 different window co's and all are saying that max cill is 225mm.

Has anyone else got any other ideas?

(I am 60/40 in favour of Alu windows, but would choose uPVC if the cill was available. I love wood, but these windows will be 35ft up......I ain't going to want to get up there too much to paint them!)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What kind of suppliers have you been talking to? Domestic local suppliers or commercial manufacturers?

Please see attached extra pics.

It is my 10 yr project.

Yes windmills didn't have windows around top originally. But I am trying to make use of the building with a contemporary twist/design.

Not sure what EH or CO mean?

I have tried both domestic suppliers and their suppliers. I have phoned 2 commercial curtain walling companies, and they have said the job was 'too small' for them.

Many Thanks
WG

Sponsored Links
Firstly I'd start ringing round a bit more, I can't believe there isn't some small aluminium window manufacturer out there who would be able to do it.

EH is English Heritage and CO is conservation Officer.

What about moving the windows further out towards the external skin?

Have you considered maybe having a recon stone sill with a step and then sit a conventional window sills on top of those?

Getting a sheet of aluminium bent to the right shape/depth and getting it powder coated wouldn't cost that much I wouldn't have thought, its only what a supplier would do.

Thanks Freddy,

EH = no, I did ask them before we even bought the place, but they weren't interested.

CO = yes, it was he who helped come up with the design, very helpful chap!

Ringing round - I live in a rural area and have run out of firms that are known locally - I didn't want to just pick one of a phone book at random.

Stone sill - we talked with CO about this at an early stage, but he wasn't happy as it would look too 'fake'. They wanted a clear distintion between the old & new. It was a big challenge getting planning and lots of compromises were made on all fronts.

The uPVC firms have all said the only way they can do it is by spliting the windows in 2 - i.e. effectively have 16 windows/cills..........but.........planning have said they want a new planning app if we do, and CO has said 16 windows = lots of plastic framing, and we have said lots of plastic framing = less light.

The alu firms have not even suggested getting the cills fabricated - I guess outside there comfort zone.

What type of firm should I be looking for? Fabricator/welded?

Thanks
WG

Hi waveneygnome,

just been flicking through the Sky+ guide for tonight and saw C4 @ 9.00PM tonight 'Restoration Man' may be of interest to you with this project. Hopefully you catch this message before it starts in 30mins!

I'll reply to your post later when I'm not rushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhing......

Cheers

Thanks hotrod, no I didn't realise it was on, so watched it as a result of your email.

Very tragic story (I cried). What a great project - not sure I would have spent £475k on it though.

My budget is one tenth of this.

So far I have: removed 22 tons of soil/debris rubble built up around the sides, replaced all lintels, fixed 4 floor levels of joists (put on temp floor covering), scaffolded to 6 lifts, replaced 4973 bricks...I counted every one of them!, laid drains, laid ground sub floor, repointed, installed steel ring beam to roof, fitted lead roof........................and now onto the windows.

My aim is to fit windows this year so that I can re-tar in autumn, and finally take the scaffold down.

Back on topic - any ideas for cills greatly appreciated.

http://kmsolutions.ie/?cat=4 I appreciate these guys are in Ireland but the point is I spent about 2 minutes googling and found them, it won't be that hard to find other suppliers, you may well find you won't have a supplier local to you! Not sure what you've been searching for but try "aluminium window sills" or "powdercoated sills" or similar.

Edit: or as mentioned get some made up someone like this http://www.norwichsheetmetalcoltd.co.uk/

Hi Guys
If i am not mistaken most commercial ali does not have cills it is a piece of fabricated ali which looks like a cill and will be made to whatever you need. If you are still stuck the company we buy our ali from works out the same yard as us i could ask.

or if you do prefer upvc have no cill and have the windows face drained and either sit them on reveal liner ( if you got all the angles and dimensions i am sure a company with a single headed welder could weld them together) or sit the on lead and the dress it over the brickwork....oh i like a challenge

Stone cill instead? or made to measure or shuttering round the building using concrete and rebar rods
windowsill3.jpg

Or something similar to this?

large-cill_59844_3.jpg

IMO, I think upvc cills will looks naff on an old building

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back