How to fix new Chipboard on top of existing Chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After a new extension we now have a lounge floor 18mm lower than the kitchen extension so i'd like to re-floor the lounge with new Chipboard on top of the existing Chipboard to make it level. Question is, which is the preferred method of securing the boards, would it be screws, wood-glue or both ???
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

C

Sponsored Links
Hi,

After a new extension we now have a lounge floor 18mm lower than the kitchen extension so i'd like to re-floor the lounge with new Chipboard on top of the existing Chipboard to make it level. Question is, which is the preferred method of securing the boards, would it be screws, wood-glue or both ???
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

C
Needs glue as well as screws, especially if you miss the joists ( chipboards poor at holding screws.)
Make sure original is secure first .

If you're ever going to need access below the floor, glue is going to make life difficult. Providing the existing floor is already secure, I'd use just screws.

As Foxhole says i'd make sure that your existing floor was adequately fixed down first (especially if some pricework cowboy has nailed it into place) then glue (D4 PVA) and screw the new flooring down at something like 200 mm centres with either chipboard screws (deep, full length threads) or FloorTite screws. I'd rather have to take a circular saw to a floor to gain access even if that means wrecking a blade (something that I've rarely had to do in my own houses or those of customers) than I would want to endure a creaking or squeaky floor because it wasn't adequately fixed down.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back