how to fix planks of wood edgeways to a brickwall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a hand rail up a set of steps by using 150 x 50 planks of wood mounted edgeways on against a brick wall.
What I am looking for is some means of fixing a bracket to the wall and then no more than 50mm away from the wall fixing the plank of wood by it's narrow edge. I was envisaging some sort of bracket wider than the wood with 2 bolts to fix to the wall then 50mm away from the horizontal plate a vertical plate to fix to the wood.
Anyone know where I can find such a bracket or is there a better way of doing it.

Sponsored Links
Any of these do?

Or just screw some blocks to the wall then screw the rail to them?

That sounds like a very odd hand rail and not very usable for human hands. Care to enlighten us a little more?

Sponsored Links
I think what the OP is describing is using 150 x 50 fixed, showing the 150 face vertical i.e. thereby the handrail can be gripped along the 50mm edge. I did this once in a student accommodation wing using 150 x 50 Parana Pine, the fixings were 32mm dowels made from the same wood the protruding ends rounded over like a buttons...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back