how to fix plaster under skirting board batton?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We removed some of the skirting boards to strip all the old paint off. The plaster under the batton that they are nailed onto is in pretty bad shape - broken and crumbling in some places. I'm going to do it myself as it doesn't need to look good, just be relatively flat which I can manage.

I was going to just remove all the loose stuff and then replaster but am looking for advice for which plaster to use?

I've got a bag of general purpose plaster which I was going to use but thought I'd seek advice here first. Any recommendations or advice?

Also should I PVA the brickwork where its exposed? I'm thinking there would be no harm in doing so, even if its not strictly required.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Forget the general purpose plaster, return it & get a refund. Are you sure it’s brick & not a timber wall support plate the skirting is nailed to? If timber, removing the skirting usually results in all the plaster coming away from the wood. Stick/screw lengths of plasterboard to the timber plate before plastering out to the required depth using Multifinish; I suppose you could use the general purpose stuff for that but I wouldn’t!

If its brick (not blocks!), then it’s relatively low suction; PVA, let it dry overnight & then use Bonding plaster to fill out to the required depth. It might be best for you to do it in 2 hits rather than try to make up the difference in one; apply the second coat after the first has just gone off but don’t let it dry out. Use a trade quality grab adhesive to refix the skirting rather than clout nails!

Thanks for the reply Richard. Perhaps I didn't do a great job of describing the problem.

Behind the skirting boards, there is a wooden batton running horizontally which the skirting board was nailed to. Above and below this is the plaster thats in need of repair. As you can see from this picture, it is bricks behind the broken plaster and its mainly the plaster below the wood that needs re-done :

99000_98278_4456_37500336_thumb.jpg

I meant to check exactly what plaster I have but didn't get a chance last night.

Are there any specific brands of grab adhesive that you'd recommend or are they all pretty similar?

Thanks again.
Al

I’m still not clear exactly what you’ve got there; is the face of the timber baton flush with the plaster on the wall above & was the skirting nailed directly to the timber baton or did the baton have a layer of plaster over it as well as below it?

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that your not putting the skirting board back?

Otherwise, why plaster behind it?

Are you saying that your not putting the skirting board back?

Otherwise, why plaster behind it?
No I think the OP intends to put the skirting back. I'm trying to establish if the batten is flush with the wall plaster or it was plastered over. If it was originally plastered over, it will have to be brought back out to the same level as the plaster above. If it wasn't all he needs to do is repair above & below the batten.

I’m still not clear exactly what you’ve got there; is the face of the timber baton flush with the plaster on the wall above & was the skirting nailed directly to the timber baton or did the baton have a layer of plaster over it as well as below it?

The face of the baton is flush with the wall plaster and the skirting was nailed directly to it.

Edit: the skirting boards are going back on afterwards.

OK. Get yourself a bag of Bonding plaster, PVA the brickwork below the batten & fill it out level with the batten; you won’t need to worry too much as the batten will provide a nice levell for the trowel. If it’s deeper than 10mm, fill it out in 2 hits as I said previously. If you’ve limited damage to the plaster above the batten, PVA & rough fill with Bonding plaster to around 2mm below the surrounding area & then you can use your general purpose plaster to blend in with the surrounding area.

Personally I would put a piece of steel capping over those cables before plastering out & make sure you don’t bash any nails through them! As your fixing into wood, I would use nails or screws to re-fix the skirting rather than grab adhesive I previously suggested.

I'll need to try and do it in 2 hits as its about an inch deep. Plaster above the batten is still in pretty good shape so I'm not planning on doing anything to it.

I've got some steel to go over the cables, just not fitted yet :)

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

The piece of timber the skirting is nailed to is what I would call a "ground", and are nearly always fixed to a wall/s that are to be floated and set. It serves two purposes, the first is for the plasterer to work from, for the float coat thickness, using a long straight edge, in conjunction with a plaster screed, and secondly for the skirting boards to be fixed to. The plaster below the "ground" is put there mainly to support the lower half of the skirting and stop it from kicking in,,,, you could say it's a plaster "packer"....... I would do as Rich'd said plastering wise, but keep the plaster up 10mm or so away from the floorboards.

Roughcaster.

I would do as Rich'd said plastering wise, but keep the plaster up 10mm or so away from the floorboards.
What I do is initially plaster right down to the boards & then run the point of a stiff scraper or bricklayers trowel along the bottom to take it "off the boards” just after its firmed up but not set.

Thanks again for the advice.

I'm going to have a good look at the plaster thats still there and see whether its worth removing it all as it would probably be easier to start from scratch. Wont get a chance tomorrow but will give it a try on thursday and will let you know how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back