How to fix this floor

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The screed in the new (3 years old) extension is crumbling, and I am almost ready to sort the floor out of the old kitchen that I've been renovating. Using the 18mm caberboards on existing joists.

Can I just put down a stronger screed / level mix? Builders did try to improve the work with some level compound mix but that is broken now. Will be cutting the vinyl back to the door stops. Will have laminate boards on new floor.

I am thinking the options are:

1. remove some of existing and replace with better - need to put in a barrier to hold it better too. Builders used a bit of 25mm insulation board on its side. Not sure how effective that is...
  2. removing existing to door stop, putting in something to help hold it together on the edge, then board up to it
  3. remove 2cm top layer to rest floor board on top, fill around etc.
  4. Just board as close as possible, then when floor screwed down fill in with some sort of filler.
Or something else?

IMG_20210514_130640743.jpg
IMG_20210514_130628020.jpg
IMG_20210514_130637531.jpg

Sponsored Links
well, this was my attempt. Removed move crumbing concrete, put in a bit of timber to floor level, foamed around it so there's a bottom, used U-can concrete floor patch fill.
Hopefully it is strong enough and level enough.

Screwdriver not relevant, just there from removing the door - the big lump of concrete came away in my fingers.
Removed all loose (the hole on the right got much bigger) then soaked it in water, before filling. Also trimmed off as much foam as possible.
IMG_20210706_111002250.jpg

IMG_20210706_122131904.jpg

Obviously a bit messy, first time doing this. Insulation below future laminate board should hopefully disguise any unlevel bits ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back