How to fix timber frame to interior brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Whats the best method for fixing a, say, 2x3 frame to a brick wall?

First of all, I assume I'd want the verticals to be at 600mm centers in order to make fitting the plasterboard easier.

1. What size of screws should be used?
2. How far into the brick to drill?
3. Best type of rawlplug/fixing?
4. How many fixings per vertical?.
5. How do you line-up holes drilled into the wood with holes drilled into the brick?

I read somewhere you could drill thru timber with a masonary bit into the brick, then push a plug through. But surely the hole in the wood would then be too big?

Its a 2.8m ceiling. 12mm plasterboard will be fixed to the frame. Of the four walls:

1. One is a brick wall between two Victorian flats (lots of chimney flues behind wall). I plan to add 50mm rigid foam insulation behind the plasterboard.

2. Another brick wall is internal, and I want the frame in order to support shelving.

3. Third wall is a lathe and plaster partition between rooms, so I'll already have the timber frame there

4. Fourth wall is an external wall with partial coom ceiling and dormer window. I plan to put 100mm insulation behind that, and perhaps plasterboard with 25mm insulation.

Thanks
Ian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back