How to fix (to a wall) a mantle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Again,

I am in the process of changing from an open fire to a wood burning stove. I am planning on having an oak mantle. The question I have is how should I fix it to the wall without seeing the fixings?

In the pictures (yellow box is where I plan to put the mantle) you can see that there is a concrete support that sticks out 20mm, I plan to router out the back of the wood so the oak will still sit flat to the walk. However the concrete support is angled (in the fireplace) so I cannot drill into the support, So I am not left with allot of space.

All help (apart from “no more nails” is welcome.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Sponsored Links
Hello Again,

I am in the process of changing from an open fire to a wood burning stove. I am planning on having an oak mantle. The question I have is how should I fix it to the wall without seeing the fixings?

In the pictures (yellow box is where I plan to put the mantle) you can see that there is a concrete support that sticks out 20mm, I plan to router out the back of the wood so the oak will still sit flat to the walk. However the concrete support is angled (in the fireplace) so I cannot drill into the support, So I am not left with allot of space.

All help (apart from “no more nails” is welcome.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Hi Steve
Cant see the photos? :confused:
Brian

You can use a 'L" shape metal bracket, and either chop a bit of plaster out and then fix and fill over, or fix the bracket to the wall first and fix the timber over it

You could fit large L brackets to back of mantle at base and screw to underside of the chimney opening. Would not bother with router just chip off excess brick so it's flush.

Sponsored Links
A completely secret method of fixing is to use allthread and resin. To do this drill holes into the wall and corresponding holes into the back edge of the mantle. Drill the holes slightly larger than the allthread dowels to allow for positioning. It's easier to fix the dowels into the timber first although the whole job can be done in one go.
Dry fit the whole thing first and cut some timber props to hold it all in place , then inject resin into the holes and push together and hold it up with the props. Resin will set quickly but give it an hour or so and it will be secure.
Downside to this method is that it isn't very easy to remove and whoever does will probably resort to destroying it to get it off the wall.

Plenty of resins around for this job. L brackets are too ugly...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back