How to form a piece of stainless steel for boat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I wondered if you could help?

I’m looking for a piece of stainless steel to prevent pull through on the winch point of my boat. However I’m unsure how I could form this to match the contour? Is there anything you could suggest?

Many thanks,

IMG_2984.JPG
IMG_2985.JPG
IMG_2986.JPG
IMG_2987.JPG
Steve.

Sponsored Links
Does it have to be stainless?

I would cut out that area of fibreglass, use a block of marine ply, then fibreglass over the top and if you wanted to another piece of marine ply to make it stronger.

I understand from your thinking to just bolt a steel plate, the only way to contour would be to hammer/tap into place.

I understand from your thinking to just bolt a steel plate, the only way to contour would be to hammer/tap into place.
Although the OP could take a mould of the area first, and then fabricate the SS off-site to match?

Make up a template and take it or after showing them in photos post it a metal fabicator. Where are you located as I know of 3 fabricators in the East of England.

Sponsored Links
Hello guys and thanks for the input. I wanted to use stainless burley for strength and ascetics. My plan was to foam fill then glue / paint the steel in over the top.

What would be the easiest way to take a mould of this? Thank you!

Thanks - we posted at the same time :)

I'm unsure how to template this? I'm in Portrush NI unfortunately.

Make up a template and take it or after showing them in photos post it a metal fabicator. Where are you located as I know of 3 fabricators in the East of England.
Thinking on, perhaps the easiest DIY way, would be to sand back, add fibreglass to the infill section a little to bring it out enough to use a flat bit of stainless. Would need a different sized shackle though.

Thanks - we posted at the same time :)

I'm unsure how to template this? I'm in Portrush NI unfortunately.
As Justpumps says, a template is a good idea - the shape is quite simple, I went OTT suggesting a mould :)
3 pieces of card could be taped together to get the approximate shape.

Thanks I did plan to infill, however a flat bit wouldn't work unfortunately due to the curve of the boat. How could I template it? Thanks you!

Nice, thank you. I hadn't considered that! Appreciate the help!

Thanks I did plan to infill, however a flat bit wouldn't work unfortunately due to the curve of the boat. How could I template it? Thanks you!
The flat would be where the nuts are, furthest inside the boat.

Ah okay I understand. I'll take another look, I feel like I'm a little closer to fixing before it becomes to late. Cheers!

You could template it by covering the hole with tape and using plaster and some sacking to copy the curve.

Then you'd have a copy of the shape that you are trying to match.
I don't know how well it would work, but you could then find a section of tree trunk/railway sleeper and carve a matching hole.
Then batter the crap out of the stainless with a hammer if it is thin enough.

other than that a fabricator could take the plaster cast and use maybe an English wheel to get the curve.
Or someone with a hydraulic press could induce a curve by stacking solid bars either side of where you want to press down.

Perfect, thanks for the help. Appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back