How to freeze a pipe with a leaking joint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I've dropped a bit of a bo**ock this afternoon when extending an old pipe that comes out of the ground to use as a hose pipe.

I have been completely unable to locate any service valves for it so used a freezing kit to plug it while I cut the broken old tap off it to fit a new gate valve, pipe and hose tap.

Freezing went fine, I cleaned up the end of the old pipe, fitted the new bits and nipped everything up and then started tidying up while I waited for the freezing kit to thaw.

Got a bit of a fright when the ice plug went because I hadn't checked that the tap was shut so it suddenly started spraying water everywhere, but I turned the tap off and found a tiny leak spraying from the bottom of the gate valve.

I tried to nip it up a little more in case I hadn't tightened it enough and it made no difference so I obviously need to redo it.

Only thing is, I can't see the freezing kits working again if the water is moving through the pipe at all.

Is that right? If so, what can I do about that? How do you work on a leaking joint with no form of isolation?

Cheers all!

Sponsored Links
What freezer kit are you using? Why are you fitting a gate valve to mains water supplies?

I had it lying around, it was the right size for the pipe and I've seen a lot of hose taps fail so wanted some kind of isolation before the hose tap.

The freeze kit was a jacket and a 415ml can of Arctic Spray.

Sponsored Links
If you turn all the taps in the house on then how much does that reduce the leak?

No stopcock at the inlet to the house?

Tony

That's what I can't find. I've looked around the house for nearly two hours and the only stopcock in a plastic lid that I could find made absolutely no difference whatsoever so I can only assume it goes to somebody else.

It wasn't leaking. It just had a valve on it that you could open with a wrench but couldn't attach anything to because it was smashed so the water wasn't running at all when I froze it.

You'll not be able to freeze it again with water flowing. I've got big f.ck off CO2 gear & even with that it's a waste of time.

Do it live or a Jet Swet as I suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back