How to get a great price deal on paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've commissioned a builder/decorator to repaint the front of my house, which is 33ft high and 20 ft wide.

It's down to me to purchase all the materials, which will include waterproof masonry sealant, crack filler, exterior masonry paint, and enough primer, undercoat and black matt topcoat for 7 windows. The builder reckons I should expect to pay at least £200 for these materials.

I've never bought this much in one go before and am wondering how I can get the very best deal on price. Should I go to one shop, look online, shop around, go direct to a factory, open a trade account with someone, or what?

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Probably depends on paint brand.

Our local decorator centre is finding Johnstones paint is becoming quite popular with professional decorators they supply, as an alternative to Dulux trade.

I know the Zinnsser brand is popular these days for various primers etc.

Professional paint isnt cheap, but its what a pro tradesmen would expect to use. If you go to a trade centre, give them the whole list and tell them you want a decent trade price......

Cheers, Notch.

I don't know or care about brands but will of course use good quality materials.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you give him plenty of rolls of decent sandpaper, and make sure he uses it.

Cheers Spark, and good point. What brands do you recommend?

To what extent should (or can) the customer oversee, order, supervise, etc a builder up on a scaffold? Don't they resent it?

To be honest £200 isn't a lot for materials. I spent more than that on various fillers for my last exterior job (the front elevation of a two story semi-detached house with eaves).

I quoted £3000 (inclusive of materials). No brick work to paint. No wooden windows to paint (they were brand new). I still "lost" money on the job.

From memory, £150 for paint, £230 for fillers, £100 for sandpaper, £400 for scaffolding, £200(?) for sundries.

The client was over the moon with the quality of finish, I was just glad to finish the job and earn some money on the next job to cover my loss of income.

Sorry, I digress... Most proper decorator merchants' will offer you decent prices but given the volume, they won't be interested in offering you a discount for such a small order- that said, some of the independents might offer a discount if you pay cash.

With regards to exterior paints. I go for the Dulux Trade Weathershield range (oil based for the woodwork, not waterbased). Dulux don't however sell exterior matt paints for woodwork- off hand i can't think of anyone that does. Only 2 part fillers to be used on the woodwork. Toupret exterior fillers for stonework (or 2 pack filler). Sandpaper- seriously? Is he only going to hand sand? If yes, either expect a lot of dust or expect very little sanding to take place.

Cheers, Opps. I will only buy 2-part wood filler and oil-based paints. Good points!

Is Sandtex a good masonry paint?

Looks water-based to me...

Typically you would have oil-based for woodwork and metalwork.

Water-based for the walls. Sandtex is usual for outside walls, as you suggest.

It's worrying this bloke wants you to choose and supply all the materials, usually he should have at least have some of the preparation gear, and he should be advising you what you need.

I mentioned sandpaper, there are a lot of bodgers out there who don't want to know about preparation, and it all starts to peel later on.

Usually you can buy rolls of sandpaper - coarse, medium and fine.

Hope you get a good job - if it looks rubbish near the start of the job, tell him you've changed your mind and get someone reputable.

Last edited:
Looks water-based to me...

Typically you would have oil-based for woodwork and metalwork.

Water-based for the walls. Sandtex is usual for outside walls, as you suggest.

It's worrying this bloke wants you to choose and supply all the materials, usually he should have at least have some of the preparation gear, and he should be advising you what you need.

I mentioned sandpaper, there are a lot of bodgers out there who don't want to know about preparation, and it all starts to peel later on.

Usually you can buy rolls of sandpaper - coarse, medium and fine.

Hope you get a good job - if it looks rubbish near the start of the job, tell him you've changed your mind and get someone reputable.

Thanks for the reply, Spark.

I read the description for the Zinsser and the reviews and all seems good despite it being water based.

I'm sure my decorator will have his own ideas and preferences but I prefer to have my own input and to take advice independently.

Sadly once he's started I won't be able to change my mind, since the scaffolding will be booked for just 2 weeks and will be up already.

With water-based, you may notice brushmarks more, and if putting over old oil-based paint, good sanding is paramount.

Painters Mate (for exterior) is a caulk which will be invaluable for filling unsightly gaps.

A Dulux Decorator Centre or Brewers may be a good place to browse, buy and ask advice.

Is this workman an actual painter and decorator, or some bloke who does a bit of building, and this and that?

Last edited:
Thanks Sparks.
He's a decorator, and handyman-builder. Never used him before, but he sent me some links to good reviews previous customers local to me posted online and invited me to contact them.

Last edited:
If you choose the materials , he'll blame you if the job goes wrong.

If you choose the materials , he'll blame you if the job goes wrong.

Yes.

Usually a good tradesman will provide good materials that he has become familiar with over the years, things that he knows are good quality and problem free.

Usually he won't rely on whatever the customer gets, as he will have his own ideas on what works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back