How to get broken bolt out of Euro Cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so in the patio door theres a Euro cylinder, it was getting a bit dodgy so i decided to replace it and bought a new cylinder. normally a simple enough job.

However when i went to unscrew the retaining bolt on the old cylinder the head and about 1.5 cm of bolt snapped off, leaving the rest of the bolt in the old cylinder. Which is now preventing from removing the lock.

The sheered off end of the bolt is not smooth and the whole cylinder now moves about 1.5 cm in either direction untill the bolt or the lock tab hit the inside of the door frame.

The only access I have to the bolt is via the hole in the door frame and becuase the lock slides back and forth this is not always in line with the end of the sheered off bolt. So not easily drilled out.

Anyone got any clever suggestions for getting it out?

Sponsored Links
can you clamp the cylinder in position with wood and g-clamp each side of the door to allow the bolt to be drilled out?

I think the lock case is probably going to have to be sacrified too.

Hmm, I did try something similar with mould grips but becuase the end of the screw is not flat it tended to want to drift off and either move the lock eventually or grind against the side of the hole in the door frame.

Maybe G clamps would be more secure...

When you say the lock case what do you mean? The outside of the existing euro cylinder or some other bit thats in the frame?

I don't mind killing the existing euro cylinder as long as it leads to getting it out, at the moment it does work. I'm keen to not break the lock and still not be able to get it out.

I'm confused, is the bolt still holding the cylinder in place or did you unscrew it quite a way before it sheared (unlikely), if the cylinder moves 1.5cm each way but the tab is stopping it then the retaining bolt (screw) has come out enough, that means all you need is the key and turn it till the tab lines up vertically and you should be able to slide the cylinder out, remove the handles if you haven't already done so.....makes it a whole lot easier.

If the cylinder is still held by the screw then its impossible for the cylinder to slide back and forth as you say, this being the case remove the handles, clamp a pair of mole grips on the flat part of the cylinder and give it 2 good quick jerks side to side, don't be frightened, bit like pulling a tooth out with string you just have to do it :D , the clylinder will snap down the middle so you can remove each half seperately, the fixing screw will now be loose but you'll have to push it out using the hole where the cylinder was, i normally poke a finger in from each side against the screw and tease it though the hole in the mechanism

Sponsored Links
Crank

Thanks for your reply, its the later situation but there is some play in the lock now becuase the door frame is 3cm ish deep and the tab is only 1cm wide so it moves back and forth a bit. I've tried aligning the key but the remaining bolt fouls the door frame and stops it coming out.

I'll have to try the lock snapping, hopefully the remains wont fall down into the rest of the lock mechanism and stop that working.

Wish me luck, if i **** it up and can't get the door locked the wrath of the misses will be baaaad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back