How to get hinge cutout in the perfect spot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Does anybody have any tips on how to get the hinge positions in exactly the right spot on a door liner?

I have the hinges already fitted to my french doors, with a fresh liner installed, and want to hang them perfectly flush top and bottom.

Ive hung loads of doors, but im a diyer, never been taught how to do it, just sort of figured it out. Ive always got the door in position with the hinges on and maked the hinge location on the liner with a pencil, clamped my home made jig to the liner and routed out a nice neat hinge cut out, however sometimes i might get one of the cut outs a couple of mm high or low on the liner.

As these are french doors, i want to the hinges bang on in the right place.

Im just wondering if there is a better method to make sure i get the hinge locations dead on?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Holding the door in place and marking where the hinges are has always worked for me, however I don't use a jig on frames/liner (only on the door itself when doing a few). I find it easier with a chisel and mallet. Once you get in the swing of 2-3 regular taps down the hinge position so all the cuts are the same depth, all the chips between cuts come out easily and the base is virtually flat straight away - quicker and arguably more accurate than trying to position a jig on a liner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back