How to get microphone working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive got a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop that I need a microphone for a disco to work. Plugged a Sony F-v120 microphone into the 3.5mm jack, laptop detects audio device presence, click on OK but no sound out of speakers. Checked all settings for speakers for muted, all switched on. Used the microphone as a recording device from same jack input, recorded ok. Rang Dell, wanted £35 just to help me even though laptop only 3 months old. Any help appreciated as I'm no Bill Gates. Is their such a devise as a USB mike? would this cure my probs. Tried an exchange mike but still same prob...

Sponsored Links
so basically you want to speak into the mike and have it come out of the speakers at the same time?

Just to confirm, when you double click the speaker symbol in the taskbar you get a Volume Control window. Do you have a microphone slider on here? If not go to options, properties, ensure that playback is selected, put a tick next to microphone and click OK. Make sure the box next to the microphone slider is not ticked and the slider is not at the bottom. Does this work?

Eggplant, yes as bought to use as a disco for childrens parties. Sparks, dbl click on speaker and there is no microphone slider. Options, properties and no microphone. Click on record and microphone in there, can be used as a recording device and can see peaks on flatline thing. Playsback what was recorded. Have also tested hardware via windows and works ok, so microphone all right. Must be something that I have to turn on/off, but can't find the chuffer.
Thanks for trying , if you can think of anything else I would be grateful.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Doc, I don't have any discs for this machine as Dell don't send them anymore. Do you think I should send the thing back or is it just something that needs enabling/disabling? Read the attachments, it seems like a common problem but a few of the cures worry me as I' not that confident with playing with settings.

Have done what Sparks said on my desktop and I have turned on the microphone and raised the slider, microphone works. This option is not on my laptop. Is it a card fault or is it that there is no microphone facility. If latter I don't recommend Dell or their service back up

JACKC said:
Thanks Doc, I don't have any discs for this machine as Dell don't send them anymore. Do you think I should send the thing back or is it just something that needs enabling/disabling? Read the attachments, it seems like a common problem but a few of the cures worry me as I' not that confident with playing with settings.

You can download them from the dell website. here

What does your mixer device state when in Options > Properties of your volume controls?

Volume control, Wave, SW Synth andCD Player. there is no other choices. On my DEll desktop microphone is present, but not in tne laptop. In recording microphone is there and checked, I have used it as a recording device so it does work. but can't use as a PA microphone.

The bit at the top of the window under Mixer Device. Should detail the name of the device.

Such as Creative Labs Integrated

Sponsored Links
Back