How to get to tap washers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Before I break something...Does anyone know how to get at the washers on these taps?

GALLERY]
GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 792][/GALLERY]

The 1st is a Bristan Colonial. I assume i'd have to pop off the white cap (with a Stanley knife??) and then take off the cover at the base with a cloth covered Stilson - am I close??

With the 2nd - would I take off the White cap or lever it off at the knurled part?

Any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Can't see why you would want to take off the white caps, there's nothing underneath, they're simply labels to distinguish hot from cold...

Shouldn't there be a screw underneath the cap which connects the tap handle to internal part of the tap? Just wondering how to access that screw.

Sponsored Links
So RE the tap in the 3rd pic - just turn the nut,that you can see, and that will allow me to pull out the tap assembly?

Still not sure about the first tap. I've unscrewed the cover, but it won't come up far enough (even with the tap fully open) to allow access to the nut to take out the assembly. Any suggestions?

looks to me like one of those is a valve to a towel rad, hope you remember to drain the system first.

holty i take it your not a plumber

pics 3,4,5 are of the same tap #

tap 1 remove white cap check it does not unscrew before you try to pop it off remove the screw under it this will allow you to remove the top of the tap ( the cross )
then undo the cover under that normally only hand tight
then you can get to tap body spanner or grips needed remove body ans you will find tap washer

ps don't forget to turn water off or isolate tap

tap 2 if i can make it out properly you can see the nut for tap body

Thanks wilson121

yeah can see that on the 2nd tap now.

Have you got any tips for getting the cap off the 1st tap though? Can't get a fingernail under it & there doesn't seem to be much room to get anything down the side of it to lever it off apart from maybe a stanley knife (if that!!). Any ideas?

before you go trying to prise it off does the metal ring directly under the
white cap have teeth running around it if so it unscrews use pipe grips or pliers if not then the only way is to prise it off it a thin blade

Are you talking about the tap in front of the blue & white tiles? Yes that does screw off.

The tap in front of the small blue tiles doesn't have any teeth on it so i'm guessing the thin blade is the way to go?

the one infront of small blue tiles just check theres no screw anywhere on the handle ( cross ) body if there is thats the screw you need to take out if not the you will have to pop the top off and see if theres one there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back