How to get vinyl silk paint of walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could someone please advise me to the best way to get vinyl paint of walls. We have just bought a basement flat that has damp, which we will be getting treated but we have been advised that the walls are covered in a vinyl paint, that we should remove when decorating.

Sponsored Links
you spell 'off' with two fs

you don't need to remove silk paint just give it a good rub down with a sanding pole and coat over the top of it. If its flaking badly you'll need to line it then paint it.

Thank you for your reply. Not sure that sanding would give a nice finish, would it not make the paint patchy :confused: Someone told me to use a steamer :confused:

Sorry for my spelling, :oops: didn't realise I had to be perfect ;)

Sponsored Links
im sorry, im dyslexic and cant spell for sht i was just annoyed because someone told me off for smoking on the platform. i know im not meant to but i was way at the top of the platform and if he was really worried about his health he'd stop eating cheeseburgers and go to the gym.

stripping off the paint with a steamer sounds like madness to me, you may have to put on 3 coats instead of two to get a nice finnish but you'll still get there with allot less work than stripping it all off.

Use matt paint rather than silk, silk will show up every imperfection on the wall. Do use a sanding pole between coats, it'll make all the difference.

good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back