Painted blown vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, a few years ago I redecorated 2 rooms at home both with different types of a sort of striped blown vinyl, good quality paper.

I usually paint my blown vinyl in other rooms like the hallway with vinyl silk, but this time in the living room and man cave, I went for Farrow & Ball matt
I've noticed the paper can rip very easy on the wall, and we only need to catch it with a cardboard box corner and it rips, this never happens with other blown vinyl we have which is painted with vinyl silk.

Is there anything which can be done to solve this, or is it as simple as painting next time with vinyl silk over the F&B matt?

Any advice from you pro decorators very much appreciated please, as this really annoys me because I've done a top job of this too :)

Sponsored Links
Paint strength is paint strength, the toughest probably being acrylic eggshell. But the problem you have is, the blown vinyl will rip if bashed irrelevant of the paint because the molecules in the blown vinyl don't magically alter and become tougher because of the paint coating.

If I whacked your arm with a scaffold pole, it will cut and bruise. If you covered your arm in tin foil and I whacked it with a scaffold pole, it will cut and bruise under the tin foil, and/or the tin foil will rip too.

So rule of thumb is, stop bashing your blown vinyl.

Paint strength is paint strength, the toughest probably being acrylic eggshell. But the problem you have is, the blown vinyl will rip if bashed irrelevant of the paint because the molecules in the blown vinyl don't magically alter and become tougher because of the paint coating.

If I whacked your arm with a scaffold pole, it will cut and bruise. If you covered your arm in tin foil and I whacked it with a scaffold pole, it will cut and bruise under the tin foil, and/or the tin foil will rip too.

So rule of thumb is, stop bashing your blown vinyl.
Explain why the blown vinyl painted with vinyl silk which is in our high traffic hallway obviously gets the odd knock or two, but the paper never gets torn. I find your reply quite odd, how on earth can you avoid knocking the walls, we are very careful, but accidents do actually happen.
Sorry your reply is null and void

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back