how to get water and heating running separtately

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a central heating system which only allows hot water to heat up when the central heating system is on. this is all well in the winter, but not good in the summer, as no central heating means no hot water!

has anybody got any uselfull advice?

Sponsored Links
im pretty useless with heating...

Ive got a glowworm boiler(about 25 years old i reckon)
danfoss randall 103e7 timer switch.
a wilo gold 50 pump
and thats all i can see thats motorised.

Cheapest way is to install a Y-plan pack. This includes a new programmer for seperate hw and ch, plus 3 port motorised valve, plus room and hw cylinder thermostats.

Without looking I can't tell eaxactly, but you will need some minor pipework changes, usually in airing cupboard.

This is the kit -

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/honeywell-day-yplan-pack-p-316.html

All of this should quickly pay for itself in savings on gas, as well as making things more comfortable in summer.

Sponsored Links
ahh, sounds like a future job then.

am i correct in thinking i would have to change the wiring to the sytem?

even if i do it myself i would still be looking at £300+ after all the wiring, repairs, pipe re fits etc...

Yes, there is wiring to do, which whilst not too complicated, needs a methodical approach.

You should be able to DIY for under £200, probably up to double that for an engineer.

Get someone in if you are in doubt.

i went with the Y plan option, i bought the parts separately and got an engineer to install the plumbing parts and an electrician to do the rest, it cost me about £300 in total which wasn't to bad but the difference it makes is huge. Half hour for the water is enough now and the heating is much better in the winter to the point where it can get to hot.

the heating is much better in the winter to the point where it can get to hot.
Are you using the thermostat for its proper purpose? (IE. not as an on/off switch!)

Personally I wouldnt buy a pack. purely for convenience, I like to have the hot water able to be switched at different times to the heating, and for this you need two programmers. And I also like to be able to set different temperatures at different times - you cant do this with a bogo pack as it requires a programmable thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back