How to go wireless?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a wired internet connection in my house, the main connection is downstairs, and the pc is upstairs with a cable running up to it.

I am with BT at the moment.(OK'ish)

What i would like to know is how can i get another connection to the loft ??

will wired be ok and if so how, or will i have to go wireless and what is the method of this?? ( is wireless connection to internet as good as cabled?)

sos for all the questions. TIA.

Sponsored Links
Wired ethernet connections are more stable than wifi (wireless)

The downside is having to run the cable.

Do you have a router/modem or just a modem? A router will have a number of ports on the reverse for ethernet cables to plug into. Ethernet cables (aka cat5 cables) use rj45 plugs- these are larger than rj11 plugs (the smaller bt plugs- the type that plug into your micro filter and not the bt plug that goes into the wall socket).

If you have a router down stairs you could run the ethernet up the outside of the house to the loft.

If this is not practical than go wifi. You will need a wifi router/modem and the pc in the loft will need a wifi client (this can be usb).

The ideal location of the router will be somewhere between the first pc and the loft pc. PC1 can be wired and pc 2 wifi if you wish.

From your description it does sound as if you have telephone cable running up stairs rather than ethernet cable, can you clarify?

the main connection is downstairs
What is the make and model of your router that is plugged into the phone line?

You could get a wireless usb dongle such as this Netgear and set up your router to go wireless using the already connected computer.
Then, leaving the computer with it's wired connection, take the dongle to the new computer in the loft and it should find the router.

This is assuming that you are connected via a router and not just a modem.

Tell us the make and model and we can find the step by step instructions.
You will need the WEP or WPA key for the router, which is probably on a sticker on the bottom of the router.

dave

the BT cable from downstairs comes into a little filter box and the to a BT voyeger 210 ADSL router. i think leaving this as it is ie with BT line attached and getting a wireless conn. for the loft will be the best solution , thanks for the replies chaps.

Sponsored Links
hi newgas

Your voyager only has one ethernet port, as it is upstairs already you could just plug a new wifi router into it an have wifi for the loft and wired for pc1.

Alternastively, given the cost of new modem/routers you could just ditch the voyager.

The BT Voyager is only a wired modem router and you will need a wireless router to set up the attic PC.
Something like this is really what you need at the BT master socket:
http://tinyurl.com/yd29qsr
to replace the old BT Voyager. You could plug the existing wired computer into it and get a netgear dongle for the other comp.

which would be cheaper in terms of keep the old BT router or ditch and re-new with brand new setup.

someone told me router's and modems are cheap to buy, but i don't want "cheap crap" as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

but i don't mind saveing if possible :D

A modem adds about £10/15 to the cost of a router.

I recommend Belkin- not because they are the best but because they have a lifetime warranty.

The cost will depend on a number of factors- for example do you want G (54meg per second transfer rates) or N (faster and greater range)?

i am still not sure. i just want to clarify, my current router/modem BT Voyager 210 ADSL has 2 connections ports 1 Bt line in and 1 ethernet out to pc.

question: 1. can i get a Netgear WG111 Wireless USB to work with this?

2. will this Netgear WG111 Wireless USB work on a PS3?

Your router does not have wifi so you will need to buy a wifi router (even if you keep the bt voyager).

The netgear usb product is to enable the second pc to talk to the new router.

The ps3 has its own wifi client and will connect to the new router

The ps3 aside I have noticed that the voyager has a usb port so it is possible to connect pc1 via usb and pc2 via ethernet with out needing to buy anyhting else.

Personally I hate usb so would go for a new modem/router.

eg

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...category_oid=-28359#productInformationSection

Is a belkin router/modem with a usb dongle for pc2- it is also the N standard wihich means faster transfer speeds and a much, much better range.

At £80 it is not cheap but the usb dongle would be about 30 quid on its own

thanks for that , so basically i need a new wireless router to send my internet connection to the loft which the ps3 will detect with it's built in wifi client,

thanks once again everyone for the input, much appreciated.

in answer to your last post- Yes- sorry I was editing my post

I have recommended the N series rather than G series to give you more future proofing.

The G option would set you back forty-something.

All options are backward compatible with wifi enabled phones/ game consoles

that looks like a good offer from pc world, all i have upstairs in the loft is a ps3 for the kids who want to go online, so possibly a cheap wireless router on it's own will do the job imo.

cheers once again.

Sponsored Links
Back