How to hang vintage frameless mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spent years renovating our house and now stuck for ideas with the simpliest of things!!!

Got one of those vintage frameless mirrors which my wife wants to hang over our cast iron bedroom fireplace.

It has a small chain for hanging (single chain /fixed at either end to mirror) but can't think of something suitable to hang it off. I bet most folk just used to use a nail back in the day! Any ideas for a discreet / visually pleasing hook way of hanging?

We do have a picture rail but tall ceilings. Had considered a single vertical chain down to mirror chain.

Wife wants it tidy while I'm concerned about the cast iron fireplace below!!

Sponsored Links
Yes, the chain could be shortened but the good lady wife assures me that is not the intended look (rather it should be hung via a visible chain).

Yes, its mounted on a wooden board. Chain is fastened to that.

I had dug out an old brass curtain tie-back hook. Has a decorative backing washer(?). Wife said no to that!!

Sponsored Links
Presumably you want the mirror to hang at a slight angle so there's a gap between the mirror and the chimney breast at the top?

One way is to fix, via screws and probably glue, a block to the back of the mirror. This can be angled to the desired tilt. If the mirror has metal brackets on the edges then remove the mirror and screw through the back.

Then fit a mirror plate or cleat to the wooden block, and hang

Fake the chain holding the mirror

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back