how to install a light in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
was looking to install a light in my attic,
have light in position and wired...
looking to connect to a single 2way switch by replacing this switch with a 2 gang switch...problem i have is where to get the power from as i know that you cant take power from a switch...have looked at ceiling rose's nearest the switch but they are of the old type, 2 wires connected and from this you then connect your cable with bulbholder attached ...was going to connect to the ceiling rose but there's no power unless the switch on wall for this is turned on..this being the case does this mean that i'd have to have this switch and light on so as to get power to the 2gang switch to give me power to the light in attic.... wondering where else to get the power from for the loft light...

Sponsored Links
Find a junction box on the loft floor and find the permenant live and a neutral. Fit the switch next to the loft hatch, either on the loft floor or on the hall ceiling. This will stop accidental switching. Fitting it next to the hall light switch is a recipe for high 'lectric bills. ;)

thanks for the reply..
the wiring is from one switch in a bedroom to another ( looped i take it) and to the bedroom light and most if not all wiring is same colours, either black or red...looking for a neutral connection but can't find one and as for a junction box none to be found...house about 25/30 years old so the wiring maybe a bit dated...thanks for the help..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back