INSTALLATION OF 2 LIGHTS AND A TWIN SWITCH IN THE ATTIC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya Guys

Is my first time here so need help!!!!

I am currently floorboarding my attic and decided to change the lighting arrangements. Am proposing to install 2 flourecent tube lights and wire them up to a twin switch.
Both lights have existing on/off switches located on the casing.
The power supply into the attic is coming from one of the ceiling roses in a downstairs room. (Live, Neutral & Earth).
I need to connect each light to the twin switch, preferably separately to each switch, whilst still retaining the ability to switch on/off the lights from the casings.

When viewing the back of the twin switch, the following can be seen:
First switch - top row (first two holes belong to "1", second two holes belong to "L")....second row (two holes belong to "2")
Second switch beside it has the exact same configuration.

HOW DO I MAKE THE CONNECTIONS?????

If you need a diagram, I can email you one!!! CHEERS!!!

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the switch allows two way operation, but I think you are not looking for that? - just one switch to allow the lights to be switched on/ off? If so, then you want one way operation.

If that's the case, then you only need use two of the three connections available (per switch) i.e. L (common) and probably 2 (L2) - check the instructions.

I assume you are happy with how to wire everything else up?

Thanks PNA

Originally tried to wire as follows:

Cable from ceiling rose into switch - Live Supply (L), Neutral (2)
Cable from light into switch - Live (1) Neutral (2)

When the mains power is turned on, the light works, but as soon as I turn off the switch, it trips!!!

I know it has something to do with the switch-live....but where????

Sanjay,

I think the problem is the neutral - this should not be wired into the switch.

If you take a look at the 'For reference' post, on page 2, there is a post by breezer about wiring for a loft, and that shows the overall setup.

Sponsored Links
Problem is that you have wired live to the common terminal on the switch and neutral to one of the switched outputs. When you turned the switch "off" you were in fact connecting live to neutral - generally a Bad Thing.

Thanks PNA

Understood where I was going wrong, and the diagram makes it a whole lot clearer....however my only concern is the on/off switch located on the light unit......will this work once I have a live feed going into it rather than a switch/live?

Also the neutral wire coming from the supply; I understand should be connected via a choc block....should this also include the neutral wire from the light???

If you connect the live to the right place on the fittings then the switches will work OK.

Sanjay

I would expect the lights to require a live, neutral (and probably) earth connections, and the switch to work fine if wired up like this.
So yes the neutral wires do need to be connected, bypassing the switch.

Please let us know if you have been successful.

PNA

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but thanks for the help. Instead of installing two lights, have now increased them to 3. Looks great and had no problems wiring after your advice.

Cheers for that!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back