Changing a single light switch to a twin switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put an additional light on an outbuilding, the building already has a switchable internal light but I want to add a permanently on (dusk til dawn sensor) light to the exterior. I thought to use the same supply as the interior light but just add a twin switch so that the interior can be turned off but the supply to the exterior remains intact. The single switch is simple connections for load and supply designated with L,N and earth. However the twin switch I bought has the two switches designated each with Common and L1,L2. How do I connect this with the supply and the feed to the two light units?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there is L&N in the switch? If so you can joint the neutrals together in a piece of chock block, red supply to C on one switch with a loop of wire connecting across to C on the other switch. Supply to the internal lamp from L1 on one switch and supply to outside light from L1 on the other switch. Join all the earths together in a chock block and loop out to the back box and switch if required. (What I am trying to say is don't rely on a crappy back box terminal for your earths).

Horatio said:
The single switch is simple connections for load and supply designated with L,N and earth.
It is just an ordinary switch is it, not a switched fused connection unit?

And are there two twin & earth cables going to it, or one?

Sponsored Links
Indeed it could.

But as this is an outbuilding, it could be a switched FCU from the circuit supplying sockets in it. In which case replacing it with a 2G light switch might not be the cleverest of moves...

:oops: must admit, i didnt read all of the post that mentioned where this switch was or what it was feeding! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back