How to install an air brick in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Would just like a little advice if possible. I have a single garage with usual up n over door at one end. It's single-skin brick wall with no windows or vents.

I've noticed that it can get a little damp in there over the winter - I left a bag of cement in there last winter which had gone rock solid when I came back to it the next year!

Ordinarily wouldn't be too concerned, but I have two motorbikes in there and want to keep them in sellable condition. I've noticed a little condensation on parts of the bikes. Someone on a bike forum suggested that I can solve the damp problem by simply fitting an air brick. Does this sound right to you guys?

If so, how do I go about it? I'm fairly capable when it comes to DIY, but have never tried something like this before... If anyone could offer step-by-step instructions that would be really helpful.

Do I need to place it anywhere particular, or would any of the walls be fine?

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Simon where is the damp coming from? Does the floor get damp after rain? Does the roof leak? Is the garage detatched from the house?

You will need to place vents both low and high, and at opposite sides of garage to create an airflow.

Hi. There isn't any leaking from the roof, nor is the floor wet. It's condensation I guess. And yes, garage is detached from the house. It's on its own, not part of a garage block.

Do you think air bricks on opposite sides of the garage will work?

Why do I need to place some high and low though? So it's a minimun of 4 bricks?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The reason for placing high and low at opposite sides is so there will be thru flow when breezy outside, but when not breezy, as long as there is a temperature differential between the high and low vents (eg the sun is heating the roof a little) there will be still be some air flow via the process called convection.

If the garage doors leak air enough, you could get away with just one vent on a wall opposite the leaky doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back