How to install two outside switches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double switch to instal, to power a socket and a water pump. One switch direct to the pump and the second switch to power lights and other garden stuff. I have a working power source from the garage that I know works fine, just need to know which wires go where.

The back of the switch has three groups of two holes to insert the wires.

One set is labeled 'L' (top right)
next to it one set is labeled '1' (top left)
and at the bottom there is a third group labeled '2' (botton left)
This is recreated at the back of switch two.

As there are two switches there are two sets of the above

I bought the switch assuming it would be labeled 'live' 'neutral' and 'earth' (silly me)

For anyone who can help it is a make called 'ave' and its IP55 ref: 45ST02.

The instructions that came with it just show a picture of the back and no labels etc.

Anyone who can help me to wire this would be elevated to the status of 'GOD' in my eyes.

Thanks in anticipation :confused:

Sponsored Links
well its just like a basic 2 way light switch in the sense its a common which is your L

L1 for your switch wire, and no L2 unless you plan to 2 way it.

Thanks for such a speedy reply but I should have explained I know very little about electrics other than colours of wires etc. What I need is someone to say where to put the brown, blue and yellow/green wires as the get to the switch (supply) and how to attach the corresponding wires from my pump. I also need the same for the supply to the socket.

Below I have tried to put a diagram of what i see at the back of the unit. The three groups to the right are to power the pump whic will have a cable running vertically down out of the bottom of the unit and the group to the left will have cable running to the socket.

......................1............L ................1............L
to socket <- OO.........OO..............OO..........OO

...................OO.............................OO

......................................................to pump
..............................................................¦
..............................................................V

Sorry to appear a bit stupid but I don't understand terms like 'common' or 'switch wire' just need to know which colour goes where and if I need to link each side with extra wire. Each plastic box has an earth screw also......

When you say socket... are you referring to an actual socket that you plug things into? like you have say behind your tv?

Whats this being fed from? Im assuming you have some cable as a supply from the board?

Sponsored Links
Absolutely. I have a single socket just like a normal household socket to plug in a tv but it is housed in a weatherproof box. Managed to sort this out as it has live, neutral and earth labels on it. I have some cable from this to attach to the left of the diagram above. I have a 3 core cable from the pump to attach to the right side of my diagram and I have taken 3 cor armour cable from the garage that I know works as I have tested it and this needs to attach to the diagram on the right so that the switch turnes the pump on and off, then it needs to loop to the left to allow the socket to be turned on and off.
.................. :eek:

any chance of a pic of what you have?

pic info is in forum information

Here ya go

DSCF1550.jpg

DSCF1547.jpg

DSCF1546.jpg

thats better

switches.jpg

This help?

the orange ones are an ALTERNATIVE position for the brown wires ( i dont see too well)

the blues should be connected to the blue wires in a choc bloc

the greens should be connected to the green wires in a choc bloc

the top wires go to pump and lights

the bottom is the incoming supply

you are not switching the socket are you.

and what s the fuse rating that is supplying this?

Fantastic, just what I needed. (ever though of writing a book?)

I will give this a go today and let you know how I get on

Much appreciated

:D

It looks to me like you're going to be supplying two switches off of an outside socket outlet? If this is correct, you'll need to fuse it down.

You should wire 2.5mm squared cable to the socket outlet and from the socket outlet to a suitably rated fuse. On the outgoing side of the fuse, you should then be able to down-rate the cable to a more appropriate size to run the equipment off the switches.

All done.

Wired in from a 15A breaker to the switches and on to the pump.

No ambulances or fire engines so far.

If need to change from a 15A breaker let me know, otherwise thanks to everyone for helping out, much appreciated

:p

Well if youve used 1mm cable to supply the switches then it needs to be a 6amp breaker not a 15amp.

I would cahnge it to a 6a MCB anyway, its only running a pump which probably has small cable

The armour cable is 3 core each of approx 2mm diameter and the pump an other connecting wires are all what I would recognise from regular household flex that you would use for a TV or extension block.

I'll change the breaker to 6A if thats the recommendation

Once again thanks so much I honestly don't know what I would do without everyones help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back