how to insulate a 1920's timber fishermans cottage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. for our sins we are just in the process of purchasing a 1920's original timber fishermans cottage on the Kent coast. It is timber framed with shiplap boarding to exterior and interior and I am guessing the outside has been coated in numerous layers of tar and suchlike over the years ! The energy efficiency is the lowest i have seen as there is no insulation between the boardings. The first question is there a simple way of drilling and filling the void to insulate without removing the exterior shiplap but not creating a damp problem? I am thinking not which leads to the second question..... what is the most effective and cost effective way of tackling the problem ? Obviously the property takes quite a battering from time to time being right on the beach...but it's still standing after 80 odd years !
Hoping we haven't bitten off more than we can chew !

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back