4 week old Timber workshop leaks - should it??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, bought a timber workshop 4 weeks ago and had it installed by the company i bought it from. I have applied 4 coats of Protek Royal exterior, as recommended by the company, was 2 to 3 but now they are saying 4! In essence in certain areas the building is leaking, back, sides and front. It tends t be about knee height so wonder if its splash back. Anyway I guess the question/s are, should it leak in the first place (shiplap) and what can I do to stop it? I want to insulate and board so I can use in the winter. Any help / guidance would be appreciated as the Company i purchased from are not very helpful, keep telling me its my responsibility to weather proof.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am guessing that you do not have guttering? It does sound like water hitting the ground and bouncing up.

Are you sure that it is shiplap. Shiplap doesn't have the groove on both sides. I assume you are talking about a log cabin.

Last year, I helped a friend construct a log cabin. The supplied guttering is utter rubbish, it doesn't have rubber gaskets at the joins and the water that bounced up eventually resulted in a damp patch inside (about 12" up where the guttering leaks). AFAIK, since sealing the guttering it has been ok... IIRC the log cabin was was manufactured by a Belgian firm. The client supplied it even though my friend recommended getting one from Tigersheds.com

If you don't have guttering, I would recommend buying a few tubes of CT1 or another MS polymer and using that to seal the exterior gaps before applying more waterbased coats over it. They are almost as flexible as silicone but are paintable. Be advised that log cabins are designed to allow movement, you may need to check the caulk's integrity each year.

If you insulate the interior without allowing a way for the moisture to evaporate you risk a whole heap of pain at some point in the future..

kieran65, good evening.

Suggest you have a look on this board for the following, It may ??? be the same company???

it is found in " in the garden section I recall"

New shed allowing water through the tongue and groove shiplap

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Many thanks for your responses.

Im told its redwood shiplap cladding on an apex roof workshop, have added a couple of pictures. Inside one shoes the vapor material used and you can see the dark shading where water is penetrating. No guttering as yet, in the process of adding, however just didn't think that with the 4 coats of protek on that it would leak, is that normal or might there be a structural issues?

Thanks

upload_2019-10-8_16-33-39.png

upload_2019-10-8_16-38-46.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back