new garden workshop shed - where to begin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new here and in need of advice.

I recently bought a house with an old garage made of asbestos cement panels that is crumbling at the back of the garden. I want to replace it by a timber workshop.

I'd rather not do it myself and would appreciate advice on a few things:

1- I had a quote made for the removal of the asbestos garage (it's 16.1 feets by 6.45 and 7.6 feet high). It features a light wooden frame so I guess it should be fairly easy to dismount.

I've been quoted around £1000 to get rid of it. Does that sound reasonnable to you? (oh and I know asbestos cement is supposed to be stable and relatively harmless but the state of the pannels are very poor so I'd rather stay away from it altogether).

2-There is a concrete base under it, but rather thin (2 inches or so), and what's puzzling me is that the sides don't seem to rest on the ground (I can basically stick a wooden shaft quiet far under it from one side). Despite this, the cement is not cracked on it's surface and has obvisouly been here for a while. Should I remove it and contract someone to build a new one or build the new timber garage on top? (I've read 3 inches is the norm). I don't plan on having a wooden floor installed as I will do a fair amount of grinding in there. Any drawback in doing so? (beside very cold feet in winter?).

3-Are there compagnies in the uk that provide the full service (timber building, installation, concrete base)...it would most likely simplify the process for me. Of course I'd like to keep the price reasonnable too...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

J

Sponsored Links
there are plenty of companies that will lay a base and build a new timber workshop. your first problem is the excisting asbestos garage I've heard some ludicrous prices for removal , but your quote isnt that bad.
It might also depend where you live .in my local recycling centre we can dump it at 25 quid a bag.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back