Timber framed workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, just starting to frame up a flat roofed timber framed workshop and I was wondering whether I needed to add some cross bracing in the frames to add stability. The workshop is 5m x 3m and the frames will be made out of 45 x 70 C24 with 9mm ply outer sheathing and then battens and shiplap. I will probably line the inner walls with 9mm ply as well.

The workshop is not in an exposed position and the back long side is against a block wall about 1.6m high. The other side faces against my garage and the front face my house.

I could make the outer sheath 12mm thick if that would help.

What do you think?

Richard

Sponsored Links
temporary brace each wall with one diagonal touching in at least 3 places until you have one surface on each wall with a sheet of ply on this will give enough stability

i would put the 12mm ply on the inside then you wont need any batons to hang things on except very heavy shelves and the like

No, mine has been standing now for several years, 4.5 x 2 meters and I get regular high winds, so I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it's been built sturdy and from reasonable wood of course, that is...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
I would use osb on interior, cheaper than ply. Unless you need smooth walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back