How to isolate cold water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daughter has a flat, cold water isolation pipe is in the cupboard under the sink - piped in copper there. First floor flat so from under the sink it must run up the wall as it runs across the loft in blue plastic and down behind the stairwell wall (blue plastic).

I need to move the water piping under the sink back from inside the unit to on the wall behind the unit but this means moving the stop tap. Can't see anywhere else I can isolate but have not started lifting covers in the car park yet. There is one small one like the cover over a house stop tap, one about 10" by 18" and one 2ft square with block paving in the lid.

Four flats in the block and I am suspicious that there is only one stop valve outside so it looks like inconvenience the neighbours for 15 minutes . . .

Or can you freeze the blue plastic pipe?

Sponsored Links
There could be 1 stopcock for all of the flats, or there could be 4 separate stopcocks with metres. Have you checked in the cupboard of the hallway, there could also be a cupboard under the stairs on the ground floor. Or it could be right outside the front entrance door to the block.

Yes you can freeze mdpe pipe with a freeze machine or use a squeeze off
tools.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-63mm-S...Plumbing_MJ&hash=item3379676be1#ht_751wt_1271

Andy

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I would recommend using a squeeze off tool if the supply feeds other flats as you suggest, in order for the freeze off kit to work you need to stop everyone from using water as it wont freeze if one of the other tennants runs water while you are trying to freeze off the supply

Sponsored Links
Had thought about that but didn't realise there were tools for the job - wary about the note referring to not 100% as I was expecting to solder an elbow onto the end.

Looked this morning and outside there is a small stop valve cover with a bl**dy big stop valve handle in it, must supply all four flats. All there is in the cupboard under the stairs is the electic meters and isolating switches - nothing water related.

Under the bigger cover is a water valve which I don't recognise and am not going to touch. Can't lift the 2ft sq lit without a lifter -it may be drain or it may be the meters - doesn't look as if it has ever been disturbed.

There is a cupboard on the stairs that we don't have access to.

Suppose we (she) can speak to the neighbours and I will do the bit to the stop valve with JG so it is done quickly - only be off 10 minutes or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back