How to turn the water off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just bought a flat and I'm trying to turn the water off to the kitchen so that I can remove everything.

The issue is that there are no Isolator valves on the hot and cold water pipes going to the sink taps. There is a a stop tap under the sink that needed quite alot of brute force to turn but this has had no effect at all on the water, could this be broken?

As its a flat is there usually a water overide outside for each flat, 6 in the block, or am I missing something?

Please help.

Sponsored Links
Depends what day it was when the architect drew up the plans. :)

On the outside walls of all our ground floor kitchens (3 storey blocks) there are 2 metal plates.
One gives access to the ground floor stop cock, the other gives access to the 2 upper floor stop cocks. There are also stop cocks in the upper floor kitchens.
We also have 3 stop cock boxes set into the ground for the same reason. Overkill, possibly.

Should an occupier be away and there's a leak there's no need to force entrance to the flat itself to isolate the water.

OK apparently there is a stop cock in the general cabinet outside of the building but we need a FB key of something to get access? Not sure at all what this is.

Can you describe the "stop-tap"? Do you see an arrow on it? Does it have a T-bar handle? Be cautious of forcing the valve.

Whatever happens with the immediate business, you must sort out the stop-tap because in an emergency it will be too late.

Blg Regs require an internal and an external stop-tap.

Surely, a neighbour has access to, and info about, the external shut-off arrangements?

Sponsored Links
You could get a freeze kit and freeze the pipe after the stop tap to fit an additional stop tap.

Nathan

If you're going to fit a stop cock fit a Surestop stop cock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back