Isolating Water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have just finished tiling our downstairs cloakroom and as a result I now cannot get the pedestal back underneath the sink.

I will need to raise the sink by about 1/2 an inch or so in order to get the pedestal underneath.

There is no isolation valve on the taps so I have a couple of questions

1 -Once I undo the sink form the wall is there likley to be enough give in the pipes to lift the sink slightly ?

2 - If I have to move the taps, is there a way to isolate the water supply downstairs as opposed to draining the whole system ?

My house is about 10 years old and is fed by a cold water tank in the loft.

Thanksyou for any help

Jon

Sponsored Links
I take it the tap's are not connected via flexi hoses then? You could alway's cut the pipes and fit isolation valves that should get you your 1/2 inch.

Sponsored Links
To be on the safe side, turn your mains off, open the cold tap on the bath until water stops then open the hot on the kitchen sink. (this saves you wasting all of your hot water) Once the kitchen sink tap has stopped running go around and open the rest of the taps until water stops.

I always do this as I have found too many faulty gate valves.

Now add 2 isolation valves to the basin and refit the pedestal.

Turn on the mains and refill the system.

Come back if you get any air locks.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back