how to kill ivy root?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've just chopped down the variegated Ivy that was destroying my neighbours fence, it was twin trunked each being approximately 4" in diameter, because of the position surround by ceanothus and acacia I am unable to dig the root out. would drilling down through the middle of each limb and putting SBK or something similar kill the root? I've dropped it to approx 10" from ground level.

Thanks

Pat

Sponsored Links
That sounds about right. They use to recommend adding paraffin to the mix but I have noticed they don't put that in the instructions anymore (health and safety probably)

Apply it with a brush so you don't get it on the other shrubs.

Thanks for your reply, I initially done search on killing Ivy Root I think and couldn't find anything, so I posted this thread and yesterday morning done a search just on killing ivy and found a few alternatives, anyway I drilled the stumps last with long wood bit and poured neat SBK down four holes, if that doesn't work I use sodium chlorate which is what I used to kill out of control lilac in my old house (dead with 10 days)

Pat

Sodium Chlorate poisons the soil (and washes round in moisture inc rain) so will kill nearby plants

Sponsored Links
John,

I drilled down the trunk and poured through funnel, I replanted soil after; can't say exactly how long after it was a few years ago and didn't experience any problems. Where I live we have a wasteland alley behind our gardens which the council have said if we keep tidy (cheek as they haven't touch it for years) then we can use as rear access to our properties so me and one of my neighbours are going to brushcut it and then SC that which I appreciate will contaminate the soil for at least six months but we only want to walk along it.

thanks foe warning though

Pat

re: nerine's comment i have no idea of the legalities but i use neat paraffin poured gently into inch wide holes (depending on size of root of course) so far it has managed to rid me of a sycamore and a buddleia globosa but i have always managed to dig unwanted ivy out so i cant comment on that

Chlorate kills all known plants - dead! Drill a nice big hole (or two) into the root without getting too close to the outside edges then stuff it with chlorate crystals to within an inch of the surface. Plug the open end with something like putty (or even mud if your soil is heavy clay) then walk away and wait. The whole plant will die.

I've done this lots of times and never noticed any damage to surrounding plants. One or two exceptionally tough stumps managed to produce side shoots; I just filled the holes again.

PS: A word of warning if you ever use chlorate solution. There is a tale of a gardener who got his leather boots soaked so he put them in front of the fire to dry out. They dried all right. As soon as the last of the water had gone they burst into flames!

hi there,

i need to carry out same proceedure in my garden. where can i obtain the SC from?

many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back