Leylandii with a difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our rental neighbour has a row of Leylandii about 3m from both houses, just before they moved in the landlord was working there and I got his permission to cut through the trunks just below the 6ft fence. The tenant refuses to trim them despite being asked to a number of times and ingoring council letter. They are now easily 10m high and I trim my side twice a year yielding about 3 peugeot partner loads to the tip each time.

The difference with this is while pressure washing the patio I lifted the sewer inspection cover and see the roots are making their way through the top 4 courses of bricks mortar line and I now realise it opening up the mortar joints and raising the bricks, cover frame and surrounding slabs. It's the main sewer running along the back of the houses.

My question is who is responsible for repairing the damage to the pit?

I've also noticed our house is developing a crack which I suspect is due to the roots but at 5-6m from the nearest tree I'd have to dig to check.
upload_2021-4-19_1-49-33.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My question is who is responsible for repairing the damage to the pit

Any sewer that crosses into a neighbours land is automatically a public sewer - the law changed in 2011 and the sewer undertakers - usually the water authority adopted these sewers.

Provided the manhole / inspection cover is used by more than one house the repair will be done by whoever owns the sewer.

5-6 metres is within the zone of influence for foundations. If you gave shrinkable clay soil the trees could be the cause. leydandii suck a lot of water out of the ground - which is the main cause of foundation movement. Whether you can claim is another thing.

Any sewer that crosses into a neighbours land is automatically a public sewer - the law changed in 2011 and the sewer undertakers - usually the water authority adopted these sewers.

Provided the manhole / inspection cover is used by more than one house the repair will be done by whoever owns the sewer.

5-6 metres is within the zone of influence for foundations. If you gave shrinkable clay soil the trees could be the cause. leydandii suck a lot of water out of the ground - which is the main cause of foundation movement. Whether you can claim is another thing.
Thanks Notch. It's as I thought.

As to foundations, yes I'm aware of the root problem with footings that close but sofar I've drawn a blank with anything to do about it, They have completely ignored council letter but they did get cowboys in to cut the perimeter laurel hedge when the council sent an invoice to cut it on their behalf after previous ignored letters.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Remind the council about that?
Unfortunately this sort of thing is not high on the councils list at the moment. The last we got from them was last year to say an enforcement document had been hand delivered and the next step would be a court hearing.

Also included in that delivery was the councils estimate of between £1500- £2000 [according to another neighbour] to cut the perimeter laurel hedge back from the public footpath, which they would be obliged to pay. The cowboys charged them £450 early Feb.

Last edited:
Contact your local MP, its amazing what a headed letter from your MP to the local council can do. ;)

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back