How to lay a Concrete shed slab next to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've lifted the paving slabs next to my house and intend to pour a slab to build a bigger shed and am looking for advice.

I've attached a pic of what I have dug up (bamboo roots everywhere which I've removed).

I've read a pour needs to be 3 courses below the DPM.. is this right? And also about an expansion joint against the house.

50mm of hardcore and 100mm of concrete sound about right?

Appreciate any help.. thanks

Sponsored Links
A few tips, if you include a DPM it will make the shed less damp. The shed must fully cover or overhang the slab or it will get wet with rain. Run the gutters and downpipe to take rain away. Cast in conduits for electricty, conduits, perhaps water.

I see no picture.

PXL_20230205_154253619.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nice brickwork.

The bricks at the foot of the wall already look damp. See what you find when you dig.

The finished height of the slab must be three bricks below DPC. Can you see it?

I have something similar, and built it so the end of the shed hinges out on hook and bands for access with anything big.

A pitched roof looks better and is less troublesome than a flat one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back