How to lay electric under tile heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting underfloor heating in and tiling the bathroom floor on top. First floor and over floorboards. Is the following a good way to do this?

Lay 6mm hardiebacker across floor with mortar underneath to even out floorboards
Layer of flexible tile adhesive (3mm?)
Then underloor heating layer
Then tile on top using a layer of flexible tile adhesive

Any advice/corrections please

Sponsored Links
What do the instructions say? Or are they the instructions? If they're the instructions then fold them carefully and place them in the bin.

I'm putting underfloor heating in and tiling the bathroom floor on top. First floor and over floorboards. Is the following a good way to do this? Lay 6mm hardiebacker across floor with mortar underneath to even out floorboards
AS already said, start with the manufacturers instructios; nothing wrong with Hardibacker but what thickness? If you’re going for an electric UFH mat (questionable & expensive if it’s a secondary heat source), I’d start with a suitable insulated backer board & lay the mat over that.
Layer of flexible tile adhesive (3mm?)
Lay the heater mat & then an SLC over it if you want any chance of repairing it in the future & to protect the cables from ham fisted tilers :LOL: ; it will also provide a flat tile base which is important if your laying large format tiles.

Then tile on top using a layer of flexible tile adhesive
That’s about right but it should be the correct (powder cement) adhesive for your tiles & use the correct trowel for you size tiles; you also need to use quality trade tiling products, the cheap own brand & DIT stuff is mostly crap.

screw exsisting down every 200mm
then as rich has said...
only thing when covering the elect ufh use a latex based slc and when pouring and working it,use a plastic trowel so you wont damage it..

dont run the ufh under any white goods..

make sure the addy is ok for elect ufh as well.

Sponsored Links
And please don't forget to position the temp sensor sensibly so that it can be replaced if it fails. Best to run it in some plastic trunking or conduit slightly cut into the flooring, and then with the end exposed somewhere (cupboard/stud wall) so that it can be drawn back.

As an electrician I have seen a number of installs where the client has had to completely re-tile in order to replace the sensor...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back