How to lower exhaust emissions?

So....took them brakes to bits, put them back together and adjusted them to perfection. Just tightened the handbrake a little bit too much and nearly set my tires on fire..........;
As for the emissions; changed the plugs, air fiter, oil filter and oil and filled the tank with Super unleaded (SP98 as it's known in France) and lowered the emissions in fast idle from 0.54% to 0.12% so my advice is to do that before your M.O.T.
Oh yeah..............passed the Controle Technique today so thats me sorted for 2yrs. normally..........

Sponsored Links
A new air and oil filter, along with an oil change using a quality oil (Castrol, Duckhams, Mobil etc) often lowers the emissions. It is always worth scheduling to do this work just before your MOT test is due.

You mentioned a head gasket fault? That will always cause an emissions fail.

Methinks the full truth isn't being told....your post doesn't ring true.

You mentioned a head gasket fault? That will always cause an emissions fail.

Methinks the full truth isn't being told....your post doesn't ring true.

Is it me, or is the ONLY fuel available in France Super unleaded? RON 101? It was when I was there....it's 95-98 in the UK.

Methinks, you are not French, you don't have a problem with an MOT, and what you write is untrue.

Sponsored Links
Curiously enough, I believe this guy implicitly..... :confused:
New air filters and spark plugs are the items most likely to help your car through its MOT emissions wise - the higher octane fuel wouldn't do any harm but its really aimed at engines with higher compression ratios than normal - to prevent pre ignition. (this is largely a thing of the past as sensors on the engine can sense the pre ignition knock).
The head gasket issue was reported as a small oil leak I believe which wouldn't have any bearing here.
John :)

Ignore mickymoody he is a jobless alcoholic who posts nonsense.

Just a weep from the head gasket mate and nowt to worry about at the moment but do keep an eye on it.
Punto's are notorious for lifting their head gaskets though - and they all bloomin' do it.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back