how to make a two way switch a one way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a two way light switch in my living room and i would like to remove one of the light switchs (because one doorway is bricked up) and just work the lighting of one switch. how can i do this.

can i just clarify that i have two one way switches in different parts of the room

Sponsored Links
I only hope you have it coming in at the right end.

remove switch, if you see 5 wires red, black red, yellow , blue you are in luck

Take the cable with the red, yellow and blue out, that leaves you with red and black.

Put red in C and black in L1

put other 3 into separate connector terminals in case you change your mind, same at other end

all done

if you only have 3 wires oh dear, you would be better off leaving as it is, because you must leave access to any junction

either way turn mains of first

thanks for the rapid reply

when you say same at the other end, does that mean to say that the cable with the the red yellow and blue is connected to the the other switch as well?. I need to be able to remove the wiring from the ceiling rose as well,so as i have only the cables that i need to operate from one switch only.

thanks

can i just clarify, i have two one way switches in each corner of the room

Sponsored Links
catchem said:
thanks for the rapid reply

when you say same at the other end, does that mean to say that the cable with the the red yellow and blue is connected to the the other switch as well?.

Yes - that's how come two switches can control the same light. Only one is wired to the light, the other is connected to that switch with the 3-core + earth cable. Which is why Breezer said what he did. If the switch you want to keep is the one of the two that's connected to the light you are in luck, if it isn't then you are not.

I need to be able to remove the wiring from the ceiling rose as well,so as i have only the cables that i need to operate from one switch only.

thanks

See above - whether you have 1, 2 or 2,000,000 switches, only 1 is cabled to the ceiling rose.

ban-all-sheds said:
See above - whether you have 1, 2 or 2,000,000 switches, only 1 is cabled to the ceiling rose.

99.9% of the time that is true but i have seen it where they were joined in the ceiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back